Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Gift




"Daughter..."
"Yes, Father."
"I have a gift for you."
"A gift? Thank you, Father. This is a beautiful box. What is in it?"

"Pieces of you, Daughter. I have put this gift together for your journey. It will become your responsibility to keep it safe."

"Oh, Father, I love my gift, but why do I need to go on a journey?"

"You are beginning the life that I have created for you, Daughter. It is a hard journey, but because you are mine there is joy for when we meet again. I have two of my children who are waiting for you and they will raise you to remember and yearn for your home here."

"What do I do with my gift, Father?"

"Those who will care for you in your early life will care for your gift, as well. Then, there will come a time when they turn the gift over to you and you will need to choose how to care for it. There will be times when you are tempted to give your gift away, Daughter, even one piece of your gift at a time. However, if you choose to keep your gift whole, you will be rewarded for there is another who has a matching gift. In time, I will send him to you and he will trade you - his gift for yours. You will know him because his gift will be whole, as well."

"Father, I am not sure I understand."

"You will, Daughter. When you make your choice, the understanding will be there."


"Well, happy birthday little girl. Daddy and Mommy have been waiting for you. "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful analogy! I think it would be a great object lesson for helping children understand the importance of guarding their hearts.

Anonymous said...

I am just now coming across this and think it is awesome! Do you happen to have it as an attachment or pdf?
Sara Weaver
sw4jesus@yahoo.com